Friday, November 21, 2008

Missing the Miracle

The other day I was reading the story of Daniel in the Lion's Den to my 3 year old daughter, Taylor. She loves story time and is always so engrossed in to what you are reading to her. So, we are in to the heart of the story where Daniel is thrown in to the lion's den. I tell Taylor that God caused a miracle to happen by closing the mouths of the lions so that they wouldn't bite Daniel. Taylor is quiet for a minute and I'm thinking how she is just taking it all in...then she lets out a huge laugh and says "Daniel is wearing a girls dress!!" I look at her and said "Taylor, honey you're missing the miracle!" Again, she points out that boys don't wear dresses...

So, I thought about that and thought about how many times God reveals to me miracles and I am completely distracted by one simple thing that I can't even enjoy the miracle He's showing me! Think about it:
**The sun is shining and warming the Earth - but I can't find my sunglasses and get annoyed at how bright it is.
**My baby is crying in the middle of the night and I groan because I have to get up -While I have friends who would do anything to hear their baby cry again.
**I can't decide what in the world I want to wear today - while there are people that woke up this morning and will have to wear the same thing they did yesterday because that is all they own.
**I sinned today - Jesus already paid the cost of that sin on Calvary.

I see the miracle afterwards but in the moment I'm distracted. Why do we do this? Why do we not see the miracles? If we could only see things through the lenses of God, what a sight life would be!! I love this verse (The Message) - 1 Corinthians 13:12 We don't yet see things clearly. We're squinting in a fog, peering through a mist. But it won't be long before the weather clears and the sun shines bright! We'll see it all then, see it all as clearly as God sees us, knowing him directly just as he knows us.

So many wonderful things God is trying to show us each day. Why not stop for one second and truly enjoy them. Hug your sister, watch the sunset, rock a baby to sleep, listen to the wind rustle the leaves, salute an American flag, think of the cross!

I pray that at least once today the fog will be lifted, my distractions will be removed and I will finally see the miracles that God is blessing me with!

No comments: