Sunday, October 7, 2007

Prayer

Tonight at church we commissioned 4 people to the mission field. It was a sweet time as I knew 2 of the young people going. I am brought to a new awareness of how risky being a missionary is but I'm sure how very rewarding it can be also. My prayers go out to them and their families as God uses them in places and ways we will only know in Heaven.

At the end of the commissioning service, our pastor, Dr Brunson, asked for the families of these people to gather around their loved ones. Then he extended the invitation to the church body and asked for anyone who would committ to pray for these people to come down and surround them as well. My heart overflowed with emotion as litteraly thousands crept out of their comfort zone aisles and started flocking to the front. They were offering their prayers to God on behalf of these people. Some of these people are strangers to these missionaries, some they know quite well but regardless of the relationship, they were all praying. It was a beautiful sight! I was standing there in the choir loft watching, tears streaking my face when it hit me. I thought to myself, so this is what it looks like when people are interceeding for me in prayer! You know we hear the words quite often from people "I'm praying for you" "You're in my prayers" "I prayed for you today" We all love to hear that but have you ever stopped to think about what it looks like when people are praying for you? I saw it tonight. I thought about the times I've asked for prayer from people who began praying and then turned around and asked others to pray for me as well. Maybe hundreds at a time were praying for me, I have no idea. But I know now that at some point in my life, I've been standing on a stage surrounded by people flocking out of their comfort zones interceeding in prayer for me. Some people I knew, while others were complete strangers. But they were all praying just for me. I Timothy 2:1-2 (The Meesage) The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.

Who have you promised to pray for today? I know I have a list, so what do you say I meet you on a stage in about a minute...

No comments: