Friday, April 18, 2008

Do you have answers?

Most people are aware about this new movement Oprah is doing about "A New Earth". She is holding on-line classes which include meditations, readings and spiritual insights from a best selling author named Eckhart Tolle. It's a part of the new age movement where no Heaven or Hell exist except for that which you create by living in the now. I sent an email out to some friends recently explaining some of this and I was amazed how little people knew about it. Most people blindly follow a popular crowd, book, movement, friends without really understanding what that person is for or about. I, of course, was not trying to make a decision for anyone to stop watching her show or buying her books however I was opening their eyes to the real side of her. I feel we should always be looking for the truth behind people and then after seeing it allowing yourself to come to a conclusion as to if participating in this persons life, being associated with a certain group of people, etc is the best for your life.

With that said a young lady I work with was speaking to me yesterday about living in the now (another title by the infamous Eckhart Tolle) and she began to praise his work on "A New Earth" I politely told her I did not believe nor care for his teachings. She was astounded but interested. For the next 45 minutes I was able to explain my belief system that it comes from the scriptures and that my peace is from Jesus. She stopped me there and said well does your peace come from Jesus or from God? Excellent question with an easy answer....they are one in the same! She just couldn't grasp that. So I asked "You can't grasp that but you can grasp that you alone can create your Heaven or Hell?" She laughed at that and wanted me to continue. I explained the Trinity and that there is not a line in my Bible that I disagree with. She asked questions which thankfully, I have had amazing teaching and upbringing, to where I was able to recall scriptures and have an aswer ready. We ended our conversation (yes, a conversation...the Bible clearly teaches and warns about getting in to arguments about religion/teachings...we are to lovingly love those who disagree) She said she would love to resume it later over lunch.

Too many times we are approached with questions about the Bible and we are tongue tied. Sometimes we don't even talk about Christ with others because we are fearful we won't be able to answer their questions. How do you remy that? GET IN TO THE WORD LADIES!!!! Open a Bible, get it in your face and start reading it. Don't be caught like a deer in a headlight when someone ask you what the Trinity means? Search it out in the scripture and boldly tell others its meaning.

Lets just not be guided by others teaching us...but allow the main teacher, the big guy on campus, the world renoun author, the Christ, teach us through a personal time of study in His best selling book...The Bible!!

2 comments:

Lauren H. said...

Tami i feel like you have nailed it on the spot. Lately the Lord has been working on my heart about just studying the Bible for myself and applying Biblical principles to my life. Not just being a hear of the Worder, but getting into the Word for myself and applying it to my life. I look at these women who are wise and Godly and I want to become like them, but there is no short cuts in being a Christ follower. It comes with hours in the Word, applying it, and being transformed form the inside out.

Tami Muhlbauer said...

Laurne, absolutely!! If you are looking for a short cut you won't find it here. God's Word is something that melts in your soul after constant reading, deciphering, looking up words, relating it your present circumstance, seeking Godly counsel, asking questions and being opened to what God is speaking to you as you read His Word! And what's so cool about it is that once you really start studying with a desire to know Him more, to understand the Word more clearly, occassionly you will just sit back and give an audible sigh and think "wow...I never saw that before"