Wednesday, April 16, 2008

I'm proud of you

I got a call today from one of mine and my husband's close friends, someone I actually love like one of my own children. He had to take a physc test today for the Alachua County Sheriffs Department. He called me after the test and we were laughing about some of the random questions he was asked. Several hundred questions were on this test! Then he said he got to this one question where it asked him if anyone has ever told him they were proud of him? He said he thought of me. It totally brought a smile to my heart :) On numerous occasions I have sat with him discussing life's problems, consulted break-ups, talked about his spiritual walk, his friendships or have just laughed because he thought the 4th of July was the 24th of July! I can't count how many times I have told him that I was proud of him. Proud of him for doing the right thing, walking away from temptations, sticking to a commitment, apologizing to someone, going ahead with his dreams...you get the picture. Sometimes you never know what people really hear when you speak to them. I know my husband only listens to half of my conservations (hahahaha) but really, what sinks in and what doesn't? In a world where people seem to be holding on to grudges rather than encouragement I saw a little light today that made me smile.

Words really do make a difference. Encouragement sticks. Compliments go a long way. Kindness is not an after thought it's a command from Jesus. When was the last time you told someone you were proud of them? When was the last time you heard those 4 sweet words?

1 Thessalonians 5:10-11
He died for us so that, whether we are awake or asleep, we may live together with him. Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.

No comments: