Tuesday, April 22, 2008

What are you missing?

Sunday morning Taylor, my 2 year old, was drinking chocolate milk while we were getting dressed for church. As we were all heading out to the car she asked for some more. So, I went and refilled her cup and also filled another cup with juice to put in her bag for Sunday school. When I gave her the cup I also told her about the juice. As we were driving to church I noticed she was just holding on to her cup, not drinking it. When I was getting her out of the car I asked her why she didn't drink any of her chocolate milk. She said "It's not chocolate milk, it's juice!" I told her it wasn't juice and then I took off the lid and showed her. Her face lit up with a smile and she squeeled "It is chocolate milk!" I asked her "Taylor, you held on to that cup the whole way here because you thought it had juice in it instead of chocolate milk?" She shook her head yes as she pranced off drinking her chocolate milk.

How many times have we asked God for something we wanted or needed and He graciously answers us but we mistake it for something else? You ask God for His will in your life and He shows you a path you're afraid of taking. You ask Him for a Godly boyfriend and the one you're currently dating breaks up with you. You ask Him for peace at work and you lose your job but quickly find a new one. So many times we can't see that God is giving us exactly what we have been asking for because we have an idea in our mind of how the answer should look. Just like Taylor, we assume that what we are holding in our hands (experiancing in our lives) is not what we asked for. We hold on to it, doing nothing with it, letting the milk spoil, when all the while we could have been drinking it up and enjoying every bit of it.

Mark 11:24
Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.

2 comments:

Meli said...

wow thats an awesome post! who woulda though you could learn so much from a 2 year old

Tami Muhlbauer said...

I let every moment in my life be a teachable moment!!